Progressive Era Lesson One:
- CHAPTER TWELVE - Wartime Americanization
6) Critics of progressivism, such as Jonah Goldberg, have contended that controlled state solutions such as in Kellorís second edition of Out of Work and her appreciation of Lenin and Britainís war economy show progressives were proto-fascists. What evidence have you seen herein for and against that stance?
- CHAPTER THIRTEEN - Media Americanization
2) Does the wealthy backing of Kellorís AAFLN make it a right wing organization? How might you square that with its pro-immigrant stance? What does this mean that categories of left and right were different in the progressive era?
- CHAPTER THREE - Southern Female African-American Prisoners and White Women
3) Do you think that, as Kellor stated in her history of the idea of crime, that society has progressed? Are we more advanced? If so, are some ideas backwards? If not, on what grounds could we judge the South of the time? How is progress made? Do government, private industry, philosophers or other factors push it?
Each person gets a copy of the Progressive Party platform.
Write counter planks for conservatives. You can use Calvin Coolidge as your role model. He basically believed in small government. He thought we out to have no controls over industry. Research him as necessary.
Now groups will debate. One group will be Coolidge and another Kellor. The side that wins a coin toss goes first. The side that lost the toss goes second. Then the debate begins.
Each group stands up with their papers on either the Kellor side or the Coolidge side. They choose the order of speakers for their group. Each time the group makes a response a different person must give it.
For this debate, one side presents their plank and the other groups presents their plank. At this point the groups confer for 2 minutes. There will be three rounds of rebuttals. Between each round there are two minutes of group discussion. After three rounds of rebuttals, the groups stop.
Members of the audience should write Kellor in one column and Coolidge in another. For each plank number, they write who won and why.
Each group does two planks.
At the end, we see if Kellor or Coolidge won. Discuss as a group who won which issue? What did you learn about debate?
Finally, on your papers replace Kellor with Democrate and Coolidge with Republican. Discuss how accurate this is. If it is accurate, put accurate. If it is inaccurate put inaccurate.
Turn the pages in.